Horseback Riding More Popular Than you Think at ELHS

Horseback riding is not only a hobby for ELHS students, but a lifestyle

Freshman Olivia Hatt rides her horse Corduroy.

MAYA GARROW

Whether horseback riding was for practicality, leisure, or sport, people have enjoyed this out-of-the-ordinary activity for thousands of years. Today, while it may not be as appreciated as other team-based sports, horseback riding is still extremely popular and often sentimental for those who do it.

As exciting as it is to ride a horse, learning to do so can prove incredibly difficult. Not only do riders need to train physically, but forming a bond with your horse is perhaps the most important piece of the puzzle. While it can take time to establish, it really is what makes the sport so intimate.

“It was hard for me to understand that he’s not always going to get it right the first time,” freshman Olivia Hatt said regarding learning to ride her now five year old horse, Corduroy.

Hatt has a strong connection with her horse, having had him for three years now.

She’s done quite a bit of trick riding, and has competed in and won many competitions.

“Horse riding is my number one thing. I’ve been doing it my whole life,” said Hatt.

Her eldest sister, now 21, got a pony at 4. Her mother had horses, which was part of what got her and her sisters into horseback riding in the first place. The Hatt family has a big connection to these animals, so the bond she has with Corduroy isn’t the only aspect that makes the sport so personal.

Family connections influenced English teacher Kate Rand to do riding as well. She started because of her interest in horses at her grandparent’s house when she was young. Now as an adult, Ms. Rand teaches lessons at that very same house to her 7-year-old daughter.

“I was always intrigued by the horses whenever I went to my grandparents house,” Ms. Rand said.

“You’re not only working yourself, you’re also responsible for working as a team,” Ms. Rand said.

Her bond with horses and the family connections that drove her to them gives her a deep understanding of the animals, as many that participate in the sport have. It’s difficult to learn and takes years of practice and dedication, but it certainly seems worth it in the long haul, especially when you do it with family.